In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They have attempted to stop the flow of money abroad by making conciliatory gestures to those who speculate on financial markets.
- This conciliatory gesture brought Sun some help from Russia who sent Michael Borodin to Canton.
- Until now Orde had been in the forefront of conciliatory approaches to the Republican movement.
- Articulate, quick on his feet and funny, Devaney takes a conciliatory approach to partisan issues.
- Washington is skeptical of Seoul taking a conciliatory approach to Pyongyang.
- However, she said she wanted a conciliatory approach taken with the vandals in the true spirit of the sculpture.
- The guide is designed to help make divorce less confrontational and to encourage a more conciliatory approach.
- Carranza was acquitted but such conciliatory gestures from Philip were rare.
- O'Brien, on the other hand, is mild-mannered and conciliatory in his approach.
- Even this seemingly conciliatory gesture was in fact an act of defiance.
- The common thread in all this seems to be a recognition that the conciliatory approach has failed.
- Pro-democracy legislators have been invited to the event in a move seen as a conciliatory gesture from Beijing.
- This contrasts with the conciliatory approach of China, South Korea and Russia.
- There is little doubt that this represents an extremely conciliatory approach…
- The deal is largely the result of a more conciliatory approach from Bob Iger, the Disney chief executive who was promoted last October.
- I anxiously stood up, clutching the towel to my middle, and spread out my palm in a conciliatory gesture.
- Nevertheless, Sharon faced strong right-wing opposition to any conciliatory gestures in the pursuit of peace.
- Beth squeezed her husband's arm in what appeared to be a conciliatory gesture, before turning away and walking towards the balcony.
- Many people are disillusioned with the reformists' conciliatory approach.
- Chairman Johnson had taken a far more conciliatory approach in his handling of the meeting.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.