In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- ‘This year is going to be a good one,’ she said confidentially.
- ‘I like ice hockey because it's fast,’ he adds, confidentially.
- Public servants should be able to communicate freely and confidentially with a minister and staff on controversial issues with ongoing sensitivity in the portfolio.
- And I went to him personally and said, look, can I talk about anything we might have discussed confidentially?
- All responses will be treated confidentially.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.