In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(act, state)reclusión feminineconfinamiento masculineto be in solitary confinement — estar incomunicado
- In my judgment the fact that there are mandatory requirements for release, which affect the Secretary of State, does not affect the legal basis of a prisoner's confinement, namely the length of sentence imposed by the court.
- When detained immigrants do find lawyers, confinement makes the detainees more difficult to represent.
- We do not rely primarily on preventive confinement - the incarceration of a person in anticipation of what he will do in the future.
- Also listed as ‘problem areas’ were lack of police accountability, overcrowded prisons and confinement of children in substandard or abusive correctional facilities.
- In other words, it is said he should have concluded that the circumstantial evidence was not capable of supporting such an inference and as such there was no evidence of an act of confinement which would support the committal.
- What is more, the validity of the continued confinement depends upon the persistence of such a disorder.
- Thus, the Board may only direct the prisoner's release if satisfied that his confinement is no longer necessary for the protection of the public.
- Additionally, horses entered by the trainer within 30 days of the violation may be subject to confinement in a detention barn on race days at the expense of the trainer or the horses' owners.
- When a person has been duly convicted of a crime carrying a jail term, confinement is automatically authorized.
- Needless to say, the ex-detainee himself had no clue as to the reasons behind his arrest and confinement.
- But is not the place and manner of confinement of a prisoner under sentence a matter wholly for the Executive?
- If incarceration is necessary, then the defence submits that upper reformatory confinement is adequate penalty.
- In fact, seldom will confinement, detention be the better course to adopt.
- Obviously, such behavior is no basis for compelled treatment and surely none for confinement.
- I've had the unenjoyable task of escorting chained prisoners from confinement to trial to prison.
- He feels that [the patient] does not cope well with confinement and being in close proximity to people he believes are more seriously ill than her.
- Some of those concerned were prosecuted as offenders, others were not: a great deal depended on individual circumstances, the nature of the referring agency, and the availability of funds to pay for such confinement.
- Unlawful confinement involves a physical restraint, contrary to the wishes of the person restrained.
- There is no external scrutiny of their use, no limit on the length of time a detainee can spend there, and no way for detainees to appeal against their confinement.
- A married couple were detained in the same prison, but in separate confinement, for a period of about two months.
2(in childbirth)parto masculine
- A confinement of six weeks used to apply to new mothers and I am a firm believer in the benefits of this enforced rest.
- Application for maternity benefits must be made at least eight weeks before confinement, or within six months of the birth of the child.
- Mother had given her a beautifully embroidered pocket, that Mama had been sewing during her long confinement before the birth of Thomas and Lettie.
- The churching ceremony in medieval Europe followed the lying-in period, or confinement.
- Their love is the greatest a woman can hope for in life, and it is irrecoverable, except in brief moments during confinement, if a woman is allowed to give birth in her parents' house.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.