In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- According to the publication the waterfall lies on the confluence of the East Lumwana and Mumbezhi rivers.
- He established his weather control scheme in the land surrounding the confluence of two rivers.
- Roman remains have been located at the confluence of the rivers Thames and Fleet.
- The large, stone main building sits on a bluff above the confluence of two rivers.
- Priority was also given to completing sheet piling along a 1,000 yard stretch of the Dutch River, upstream of its confluence with the River Ouse at Goole.
- It sits on the border with Austria at the confluence of two rivers.
- Today the adit can still be seen at the confluence of the Uncompahgre River and Canyon Creek, at the base of Oak Street on the southwest side of Ouray.
- A hanging bridge has been planned at ‘Triveni sangamam’, the confluence of three rivers in Muvattupuzha.
- This crosses the Calder close to its confluence with the River Ribble.
- From the citadel the impregnability of Ani's site is even more striking: on a peninsula at the confluence of two rivers, only one side of the city was accessible by land.
- Situated as it was at the confluence of two rivers, and yet deep inland, it was secure and at the same time easily accessible to traders.
- One can see from the viewpoint or ‘lovers meet’ the confluence of the rivers Teesta and the Rangeet.
- Along from Waiotahe is the confluence of two rivers, the Waioweka and Otara.
- The boatramp is situated on the Fraser fairly close to the confluence of the Harrison river, and it was on the lower Harrison that we dropped anchor.
- The town is sacred because it is at the confluence of two real rivers - the Ganges and the Yamun - and one mythical one, the Saraswati.
- The Sangameshwar temple is at the confluence of rivers Alaknanda, Varuna and Shastri and gets submerged during monsoon.
- The confluence of the rivers Ouse and Fosse was a naturally attractive site to the military mind.
- They are strategically positioned on mountainsides, on the confluence of two rivers or overlooking valley entrances.
- The confluence of the two rivers also stands as a natural boundary separating three countries Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- The pair had only been dating for a few months when, according to the band's website, a shaman performed the ceremony in a canoe at the confluence of three rivers in the Amazon.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.