In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in US)miembro del Congreso masculine
- When we come back, we will talk with two congressmen and one member of the Senate.
- Any congressman who tries to stonewall on this will be subject to an immediate recall movement.
- Most of the South's governors and three-fifths of its congressmen are now Republican.
- But he also has to do what he did with the Republican senators and congressmen yesterday.
- The measures that have been taken are calculated to intimidate not only the general public, but the congressmen and senators as well.
- If she wanted him to meet with a senator or a congressman, we had to change his schedule to do it.
- The congressman in fact had actually paid his taxes; he was just habitually late about it.
- This is an off-year election, meaning we choose senators and congressmen, not a president.
- On one occasion, the congressman even arranged a blind date, but nothing became of it.
- As the congressman told us of his need to leave, I began waving furiously from my side of the building in my work clothes.
- This is a bipartisan group of congressmen and senators who are looking into this.
- I've never believed that governors and senators and congressmen can really deliver states.
- Privately, many senators and congressmen have a similar feeling.
- Unfortunately, our senators and congressmen have not been smart enough or well prepared enough to do the job.
- Why do you suppose senators are held in slightly higher esteem than congressmen?
- Anyway, the real life guy became a congressman or a senator or something.
- Today everyone from congressmen to city councilmen treat the drugmakers like a flock of geese.
- Rarely has the role of corporate money in buying congressmen and their votes been so nakedly on display as in the promotion of this measure.
- Liberal congressmen and the public employees' unions are hostile to the plan.
- If you are not raising money, the congressman implies, you are a political target waiting to be hit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.