In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- What appeared to be a green hologram of some sort of conical machine had taken up residence in the square, and there were crowds of black and red gathered around it.
- In the south, conical grass huts provide warmth and safety from heavy rains and more variable climates.
- Due to the double conical shape, the lower part can be placed exactly inside the upper part.
- Spherical disk blades provide better herbicide mixing than conical disk blades.
- In these cases the whole structure has a more conical shape, with the apex down and its size expanding upwards.
- The four-bedroom houses have a conical shaped roof and turret shaped sitting rooms and come with a detached garage.
- They were conical in shape, balanced on thick pillars and set in the valley of the gods' sea.
- The space station has an odd shape, a donut with a conical re-entry vehicle at the center.
- The gas is forced to spiral ever inwards towards the axis of the conical section with increasing tangential velocity.
- The dorsal outline of this species is slightly convex, whereas that of our material is nearly conical.
- The ancestral tooth shape is conical, but there are numerous variations depending on the diet of the fish.
- Cut the dough in half, transfer one piece to a buttered bowl, and knead the dough to form a conical shape.
- Under that long nose is a pair of conical, carbonfibre crush cones.
- The conical shape of a volcano became visible at first, its top slightly lopsided from the last time it erupted.
- Thus, unlike spherical and conical inserts the chisel insert may be directionally oriented about its center axis.
- The cortical area is clearly defined from the inverted conical or pyramid-shaped medulla.
- Ice pellets are quite moderate in size and are composed of clear ice, sometimes conical in shape.
- The interface between the oil and water will change shape depending on the voltage applied across the conical structure.
- The shape of the conical tower on the left is almost exactly the same as the shape of the view up the street.
- Even the conical containers and the garden seating defied gravity.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.