In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I use the word in its connotation of an unimpaired or uncorrupted state of affairs.
- But the connotations of the word in English are not completely absent from these images.
- The author criticizes conservatives for attaching a negative connotation of the word ‘liberal’ which he says actually symbolizes progress.
- ‘Dilettante’ is not a word with a positive connotation in most circles, whereas ‘purist’ is, I think.
- Like his other performance work, the idea is elegantly simple and full of connotation.
- The word carries connotations that we believe are out of keeping with our current knowledge about many kinds of kidney problems.
- The word home, for instance, by denotation means only a place where one lives, but by connotation it suggests security, love, comfort, and family.
- In spite of the negative connotations contained in the word there are good meanings that should be pondered.
- They claim that they are cleansing the word of its negative connotations so that racists can no longer use it to hurt blacks.
- Thus the word carries a connotation of some physical use of the property by the tenant for the purposes of his business.
- The word is often used pejoratively and has similar negative connotations to the word ‘witch’ in medieval Europe.
- Leaving aside the religious connotations of the word, an idol in the realm of pop culture is someone that people look up to and engage with.
- While these examples have obvious connotations, some words are ambiguous.
- But, given the creative skills and imagination of our tinsel town copywriters, the word takes a different connotation altogether.
- ‘Sanctity’ is a word with a religious connotation; it means ‘holy or religiously sacred.’
- Our society often attaches a negative connotation to the word ‘game.’
- Ostensibly neutral, each of these words has a positive connotation in the American political lexicon.
- Wouldn't you have to abandon any swear words with sexual connotations to maintain a consistent position?
- The word carries serious negative connotations that stretch back to the days of colonial Africa.
- Certainly, there are marked, and perhaps primary, political connotations to such myths.
- Some of their words seemed to carry connotations that I was never able to recognize.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.