In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1conquistador masculineconquistadora feminineWilliam the Conqueror — Guillermo el Conquistador
- In the office they were conquerors; outside, they were under siege.
- After being narrowly beaten in the first race, the second day he was the first to congratulate his conqueror in the moment of victory.
- Until 1773, at about the time the Spanish conquerors arrived, Antigua had been the capital of Guatemala.
- When we deplore the conqueror's extreme brutality, we must remember that all great warriors of the times were brutal.
- The challenge of dislodging the conquerors would be extreme and casualties massive.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.