In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1servicio militar obligatorio masculineconscripción feminine Latin America
- The exemption of Catholic seminarians and clergy from military conscription was revoked.
- It is difficult to imagine that personal development would be easily fostered by compulsory conscription.
- Thus, such cohesion is already in part present before conscription takes place.
- Modern warfare required universal short-time conscription, followed by service in a reserve.
- Faced with the insatiable demands of total war, conscription was introduced in 1916.
- Bring back a draft that starts conscription at the top of the social ladder.
- At the outbreak of the First World War he opposed attempts to introduce military conscription in Ireland.
- Calls for universal military conscription stoked these editorial fires as well.
- This regulation could well mean forcible conscription into the armed forces.
- The fact that our Western allies are abandoning conscription is also notable.
- Serving in the military reserve forces also exempted potential draftees from conscription.
- He went on to explain some of the peculiarities of Civil War conscription.
- This points to the function of the memorial in recording wartime feelings about conscription and service.
- The end of conscription in most of the West is a response to these pressures.
- The prime minister pledged again that his government would not implement conscription for overseas service.
- Quite simply there is no declared military need for conscription.
- At first public opinion was behind the idea of peacetime conscription, or national service.
- This was the main argument the army made in opposing the end of conscription.
- Yet the American citizen-soldier is a far less common figure than he was in the era of conscription.
- The government implemented an organized taxation system and military conscription.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.