In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She was dressed in a conservative black suit and pearls.
- Kenyan homes are traditionally conservative and strictly patriarchal.
- For women, the look is conservative - ladylike suits, sophisticated pantsuits, subtle dark dresses.
- It also is the least atonal-sounding movement and will likely appeal even to those of fairly conservative tastes.
- Here again there is a fine balance to be struck between the use of doctrine to enforce innovation and its more conservative function as the bearer of professional values and institutional memories.
- The busts bear no arms or other marks which might help with identification of the sitters, although the conservative dress and hairstyle suggest they were from the middle classes.
- She was wearing a conservative peach dress suit and low-heeled white shoes.
- An orchestrated return to traditional family values has pressured conservative men to explicitly re-valorize women who accept traditional roles.
- The many suits and ties and other conservative dress worn by the crowd yesterday reflected the upscale membership of much of the organisation.
- Otherwise, he has dressed in a conservative gray suit, with a crisp white shirt and perfectly creased trousers.
- The dress was very conservative, but it accentuated my curves.
- The best advice I was always given by peers was to dress in a conservative suit with modest accessories at the interview.
- His parents weren't party-political, but he was certainly brought up with traditionally conservative values.
- This contrasts with a stronger assertion of identity and values among conservative church bodies.
- The real viewers are likely to be over 50, married and of broadly conservative tastes.
- There he embarked on a covert anti-devolution campaign and many respected journalists left as he imposed his middle-market editorial content and conservative values on the paper.
- Betty may only be a character, but she's part of a much larger trend toward conservative values and traditional female roles.
- What are referred to as the Christian right in the USA are mainly people with very conservative values about issues such as homosexuality and abortion.
- Not wanting to bowl him over completely on their first date, she'd donned a fairly conservative dress of navy blue, with white trim and buttons.
- The hectic design would hardly have conformed with Philip's conservative taste.
- The rapid rise of the green movement is an example of this, because it appeals to traditional conservative values.
- The students' conservative dress also belies the fact that they are, like they were in my day, by and large liberal in outlook.
- Not until the second half of the nineteenth century did the valuation of scientific knowledge come into conflict with more conservative religious values.
- He really does look as if a men's conservative dress shop is the only place that would hire him.
- Some activists approach these issues from the perspective of religious freedom and conservative values.
- If the deceased fisherman has relatives and belongs to a conservative religious tradition, his ambiguous death is more likely to be judged an accident than if he is single and secular.
- This modernization was predicated on defense, rather than destruction, of traditional and conservative Spanish Catholic religious culture.
- These prevalent conservative values have complicated the kingdom's relations with its main foreign ally - the United States.
- The traditional range is still being sold, particularly into America where tastes are more conservative.
- Lewis was an old-fashioned Christian, and those who consider the church to be too interested in modernising see him as a hero of religious orthodoxy and conservative values.
- While her friends accept the affair, she must hide it from her tradition-bound parents and religiously conservative older brother.
- Will it mean that the tide of traditional patriarchal values, of conservative religiosity, will become irreversible?
- Many of them are religious, (and they may have voted to ban gay marriage) but they are not driven to the polls on the conservative values agenda.
- Should I teach them secular values or conservative religious ones?
- Since newcomers established colonies in imitation of their homelands, their taste was inherently conservative, broadening only with time and travel.
- The rather conservative dress in question is on the left as you can see.
- Not only are the quantities of meat large, but the fact that there are people who want to eat dried rat bat, or even monkey meat comes as a surprise to those of us whose tastes are more conservative.
- We hear a lot about conservative values in the country.
- I work for a commercial real-estate company with a highly conservative dress code.
- It was a kind of sweet and sour sauce, possibly of lemon and mustard, that just didn't hit it off with my conservative taste buds.
(in UK, Can, etc)conservadorthe Conservative (and Unionist) Party — el Partido Conservador
3(cautious)(approach) cauteloso(approach) prudenteat a conservative estimate — calculando por lo bajo
- A conservative estimate suggested that mistaken identification contributed to the wrongful conviction of more than 300 people a year in England and Wales.
- And that, say experts, is a very conservative estimate.
- Forty years is a ridiculously conservative estimate, as can now be demonstrated, and it turns out that microfiche's shelf-life is limited too, far more than paper.
- And, you know, that might be a conservative estimate.
- The price was paid in Latin America in the deaths and disappearance of, at a conservative estimate, around 100,000 people throughout the subcontinent.
- The combat capability of such a servicemen could be compared, even by conservative estimates, to that of a modern section or even platoon.
- However, with conservative estimates putting the figure at almost £40 million, cabinet approval will be required.
- Despite the fact that a conservative estimate for the overall cost of the project is in the region of 40 million both men believe now is the time to make such an investment.
- However, this is a conservative estimate that suggests at most just one in eight of all non-resident accounts opened over the period in question were bogus.
- A conservative estimate has visitors spending an average of €80 each.
- He said it was not possible to say how long the pressure would have lasted: ‘A conservative estimate would be about a minute, maybe two.’
- We consider this to be a conservative estimate.
- The $2.8 million is a conservative estimate based on records from the House and Senate clerks' offices.
- The number of women trafficked for this purpose is unknown, although conservative estimates put the number in the millions.
- Those sorts of considerations are why I said $440 billion was a conservative estimate, which is admittedly a bit crazy just to say, but there it is.
- The average person moves six times in their lifetime, according to conservative estimates, sometimes losing touch with friends, colleagues and even relatives.
- At a conservative estimate, anywhere between three to five million people live inside these protected areas and several millions more around them.
- A conservative estimate would surely be closer to 60,000.
- It appears this may have been a conservative estimate.
- One conservative estimate put the number of protesters at more than six million people, making it largest ever simultaneous demonstration since the Vietnam War.
1(traditionalist)conservador masculineconservadora feminine
2Conservative(in UK)conservador masculineconservadora femininethe Conservatives — el Partido Conservador
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.