In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Principally, their activities are carried out through embassies and consulates, although some, such as the US and Australia, are believed to have intelligence officers on the ground.
- Besides consulting embassies and consulates in China, companies with wide human resources experience will also call universities to confirm the qualifications of applicants for jobs.
- They also burned some of Koizumi's pictures and the poster of the shrine outside the building where the consulate is located.
- These poor unfortunate refugees can only seek refuge through legitimate means by applying to embassies, consulates or the United Nations Commission for Refugees for refugee status.
- The main building of the consulate had been undergoing extensive refurbishment at the time of the attack and many staff were working in outbuildings within the complex.
- There was talk of converting the building into the Pakistan consulate but that did not materialise.
- The surrounding buildings are the embassies and consulates of the nations of the world.
- Each major city/town will have branch offices, in much the same way as you have high commissions/embassies and consulates.
- The company has lately moved into embassy building by constructing bug-free consulates for U.S. diplomats in Kyrgyzstan and Guinea-Bissau.
- New York Daily News said the buildings that housed the 289 missions and consulates in the city were immune from city property taxes as long as the space was used for diplomatic purposes.
- A majority of these are based in France and represent French embassies and consulates as well as provide health information for travellers and tourist guides.
- The federal agents asked Mr Roche why he videoed No Stopping and Loading signs outside the consulate building in York Street in Sydney.
- The Indonesian Ambassador, Imron Cotan, says the Federal Police have boosted security at Indonesia's Embassy and consulates around Australia.
- Two North Korean men, who had previously dashed into a consulate building, were also forcibly removed by Chinese police.
- Presiding over all this and much more, including the embassies, consulates and high commissions overseas, are the ‘mandarins’.
- Beginning Oct.1, 2004, the new law allows for U.S. citizenship applications to be finalized at U.S. embassies, consulates and selected military bases overseas.
- Yet despite this, both consulates were rather attractive buildings: cool and breezy, with intricately carved banisters and fine teak panelling.
- Is it not possible for us to achieve the same mission by establishing consulates in some of the places?
- Other demonstrators climbed up the buildings outside the consulate and burned Japanese flags.
- Because of his press duties at the consulate, Chen was often quoted by name in various U.S. newspaper articles, from the Las Vegas Sun to the Los Angeles Times.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.