In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- What's to come for all these characters - marriages, consummations, and resolutions - is far from sure.
- This was apparently nothing at all like the consummations that I had previously encountered in my dark marital bedroom.
- The reality consists of an overriding concern with the physical consummation of their aborted marriage.
- It is really a prelude to the consummation of the marriage, which takes place typically at the end of the evening, or, in rural areas, at the end of several days' celebration.
- He falls asleep on his wedding night before his bride, Nathalia, enters the bedroom and finds her groom snoring away oblivious to the possibilities of consummation.
- In a story like way, these paintings display the process of love, ‘that moves from initial flirtations, to the ecstasies of physical love consummation, then to the anxieties of jealousy and rejection’.
- This, I believe, is the essence of the poem; you believe that through the consummation of a marriage of mind and nature it is possible to create paradise here on earth.
- Complaining of a stomach ailment, I had convinced Oglivie to leave the consummation of our marriage bed until tomorrow, when I was feeling better.
- Sex is the private consummation of a public commitment.
- It is about a 15-year-old boy who leaves home for a hobo life, finds companionship, the consummation of first love and a home in a deserted train carriage.
- In Chinese culture, whole pomegranates were rolled onto the floor of the wedding chamber to promote fruitfulness during the consummation of the marriage.
- After the consummation of the marriage, there is a period of seclusion until the young couple re-enters society.
- It represents consummation of the affair between the lovers.
- Emphasising chastity over consummation, courtship over marriage, and desire over fulfilment, Platonic love inverts much of the medical advice for what Renaissance doctors hold to be healthy in romantic love.
- Adultery here is defined even as the consummation of a marriage without the wedding rites.
- Better than that, it turns out they were married and she fled before the consummation of the marriage!
- The wounded unicorn recovers from its wounds amid obvious symbols of fertility: Symbol in part of the consummation of the marriage, the unicorn is tethered by a gold chain to the pomegranate tree of fertility.
- There was no ultimate consummation of their affair, however.
- In this cultural context the sexual consummation of the relationship may be less rewarding than was anticipated.
- It was consummation of a long, enduring affair.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.