In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(look) pensativo(look) meditabundoReligion (life/order) contemplativo
- It is such a fixture in our collective consciousness, it seems either much older or much younger, but certainly not the ordinary, pedestrian, contemplative age of 50.
- Described as part rock, part country, they straddle the very popular contemporary line between all out party animals and more considered contemplative songwriters and performers.
- Haiku is contemplative poetry and is characterised by spontaneity and lightness.
- The mood of his album is dreamy and contemplative, with occasional bursts of childish exuberance.
- Plus, you will need to set aside 40 minutes each day for contemplative prayer.
- The long, dreamy, contemplative takes of classic Hollywood studio movies or postwar European art films are long gone.
- It has been argued that the current interest in contemplative prayer is a middle-class luxury for those who wish to experience some kind of spiritual frisson.
- The film also implicitly questions the validity of a contemporary academic that fails to incorporate political activism in favour of a purely aesthetic or contemplative mode of being.
- The natural beauty of the Park is ideal for contemplative life, as monks and nuns of earlier centuries found before us.
- But either way, it's a warm, gently humid, contemplative space, air filled with the gurgle of small waterfalls, flowing over the regular patterns of concrete steps, into pools sprouting with fern and reed.
- I would sit there with my books and studies, or sometimes engage in my own form of contemplative prayer.
- As a member of a contemplative religious order spending time in silence is nothing strange to me, and is something I look forward to.
- He says he's trying to ‘create a contemplative space’ in a city that has been overtaken by advertising and commerce, in a culture that is becoming less free and more mediated.
- People walk the labyrinth slowly, as an aid to contemplative prayer and reflection, as a spiritual exercise, or as a form of pilgrimage.
- The daily prayer services move through themes loosely associated with the seven days of creation; each service repeatedly invites silent contemplative prayer.
- The quest for personal mastery requires some form of meditation or contemplative prayer because ‘it is helpful in working more productively with the subconscious mind’.
- And he was for 14 years a member of a contemplative religious order so his values are all in the right place.
- On the other hand, the dynamic panoramic views reflect his contemplative sense of analysis and recognition of space, timing and content.
- Then follows his more recent photographic work that expresses his contemplative enjoyment of the quiet landscapes unrolling between the Great Lakes and the East Coast.
- To my mind, the essential difference between philosophy and religion is in the religious type of contemplative act, the observer is within it, not outside it.
- This is one of the material reasons the world needs nuns outside the contemplative orders - teaching sisters, hospital sisters, Missionaries of Charity and the rest.
- In lieu of more thoughtful and contemplative reflections, I'll just present my top 5 panels.
- Nobody really needs one more contemplative musical sigh about how it's kinda sad when your woman leaves you or you realize you just don't fit into society or you're getting old.
- One would have liked a better balance throughout the album, as it slows dangerously on the latter half and misplaces its original rock intentions while it pursues a more contemplative attitude.
- It's as old as humanity, and in the Christian tradition there is a very clear and strong affirmation of the contemplative dimension of prayer.
- It can stimulate religions to excavate the contemplative and meditative paths in their own heritages, such as the Jewish meditation movement and Christian centering prayer.
- Lewis's last three chapters are an extended allegory of contemplative prayer.
- At other points, the poetry of ideas is brought together with a more natural landscape to create contemplative opportunities of the type usually associated with ancient temples and monuments.
- Despite the noisy celebration with loud conches and raucous bells, the essence of practice of Hinduism is a quiet introspection and contemplative meditation.
- In more contemplative moments, Dick must pine for the relatively simple life he enjoyed at his previous posting.
- I can tell you he's read thousands of pages, and met with a lot of different people who have very strong views, and he's been very contemplative how he's considered this issue.
- Then some of them are very contemplative and introspective.
- These painted images are contemplative musings of a reflective thinker looking through veils of timelessness to honour the artistic masters of the past.
- But people were also contemplative and prayerful.
- I can't really put my finger on it, but I have realised that it is seriously underplayed in my life, and definitely merits more frequent airings, especially when I want to be contemplative.
- We are now fully in the domain of contemplative prayer.
- We must take it at face value for there is no torment beyond the exuberant grins, coy smirks or contemplative musings of any of the grandmothers.
- His air is contemplative and dreamy in both self-portraits.
- The early poetry reveals an interest in religious contemplative themes.
- Then, in her middle seventies, she stopped, resolving to use the years she had left to pursue God through the solitary practice of contemplative prayer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.