In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1masculine contratofeminine contrata(price) contractualto enter into a contract (with sb) — celebrar un contrato (con algn)
- to honor/break a contract — cumplir/incumplir / violar un contrato
- contract of employment — contrato de trabajo
- under the terms of your contract — según lo establecido en su contrato
- a fixed contract — un contrato fijo
- to be under contract to sb/sth — estar bajo contrato con algn/algo
- to win/lose a contract — obtener / conseguir/perder un contrato
- to put sth out to contract — otorgar la contrata de / para algo
1.2(document)contrato masculineto sign a contract — firmar un contrato
- (in UK, in UK: on property deal) to exchange contracts — suscribir el contrato de compraventa
2slang(for murder)to put out a contract on sb — ponerle precio a la cabeza de algn
- The third tale speaks of El Chivo, a bitter ex-guerrilla-turned-hit man, who is given a contract to kill a wealthy businessman.
- A jury could reject entirely your client's statements and say all of the evidence is consistent with his being involved in the contract killing.
- There are so many people with contracts out on his life he has to look over his shoulder all the time.
- Let us not forget that we are dealing with the alleged contract murder of a young naturopathic doctor, a crime that shocked the nation.
- It was to have been a straight-forward contract killing arranged by an adulterous couple to rid them of the man's wife.
- Then a solution presents itself: why not hire a contract killer?
- For example, a serial killer and a contract killer both kill lots of people, but the crimes are essentially different.
- The murder of a father-of-two, who was shot dead outside his Virginia Water home, could have been the victim of a contract killing, according to police.
- The film, a story of a contract killer fighting his conscience more often than his bullet-laden opponents, makes some brave new noises.
- Police have not ruled out robbery as a motive for the murder, but suspect it could have been a revenge murder or a contract killing disguised as a robbery.
- When his boss becomes suspicious, the three decide to hire a contract killer, played by Adam Faith.
- Whether it was a random killing, a settling of old accounts or a political contract killing remains unclear.
- He had been offered $50,000 to carry out the hit, and was jailed for life for the contract killing.
- A British woman who tried to arrange the contract killing of her husband was jailed for five years on Wednesday.
- When he can't succeed in killing himself, he hires a contract killer to carry out the job for him.
- The Hit Man's first step onto the slippery slope had been taking a contract to kill a gangster.
- During the meeting, Hodson claimed he was offered a contract to kill an alleged amphetamine trafficker.
- Vincent is a ruthless contract killer and has to kill five people in a single night.
- Smith is accused by the Crown of being a contract killer, responsible for four other planned murders over the past 34 years.
- There had been speculation that the couple, or a relative, had been on a witness protection scheme and that the shooting was a contract killing.
- He could claim that while creating and producing hit game shows, he was also a contract assassin for the CIA.
2(liability/debt) contraer formal
3(disease) contraer formal
1(enter into an agreement)to contract ( with sb) for sth — celebrar un contrato ( con algn) para algo
- we hope to contract with them for the supply of ... — esperamos celebrar un contrato con ellos para el suministro de ...
2(become smaller)(metal/muscle/pupils) contraerse
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.