In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Smooth muscle cells possess a contractile apparatus consisting of actin and myosin filaments and the cytoskeleton.
- Smooth muscle fibers usually contract slowly but are capable of sustained contractile activity.
- Locomotor skeletal muscle protein synthesis is sensitive to contractile activity and rapidly decreases within the first hours of reduced use.
- Good correlation exists between findings in vitro and the observed contractile properties in vivo.
- The contractile activity in the distal esophagus was normal with propagating contractions of appropriate amplitude and duration.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.