In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1circulación de vehículos en sentido contrario al habitual por carriles habilitados para estos efectos
- There will be speed restrictions, contraflows, overnight closures, and the closing of slip roads as the motorway is widened from two lanes to three between Junctions 8 and 6 and from three to four between Junctions 6 and 5.
- A contraflow system was put in place to allow the Yorkshire Air Ambulance to land.
- Police placed cones across the entrance to the village from the dual carriageway last Friday night, after jams caused by a contraflow at Copmanthorpe led to severe congestion in the village.
- The problems have been caused by traffic funnelling down into a contraflow involving just one lane in each direction.
- She added: ‘We are maintaining three lanes in a contraflow but severe delays are likely and motorists should take extra care when they approach the roadworks and allow more time for journeys.’
- The problems this autumn have been caused largely by the need to reduce traffic down to one lane in each direction on a contraflow on the westbound carriageway.
- An estimated 90,000 motorists using the road every day face contraflows, temporary speed limits and hard shoulder restrictions.
- A full scene investigation was launched, but the road remained open, with police implementing a contraflow system.
- The road improvements involve the closure of the eastbound carriageway of the motorway between the two junctions, with a contraflow system on the westbound carriageway.
- A contraflow was put in place while the road was blocked, and traffic built up for around two miles in either direction.
- This work will be completed before the end of March, allowing a contraflow to be removed and the road to open from March 29 to April 2.
- There will be a contraflow with two lanes of the carriageway open in each direction, while at night sometimes that will be reduced to a single lane.
- This meant a single-lane contraflow had to be introduced in both directions.
- First, every single entrance to the contraflow side of the highway must be closed off.
- This autumn's crippling congestion on the dual carriageway and across the city centre has largely been caused by the single-lane contraflow bottleneck at Copmanthorpe.
- The entire eastbound side of the road was shut today, with a contraflow in place on the westbound side.
- The contraflow will be switched to the westbound carriageway in late January as resurfacing starts on eastbound lanes.
- During the surfacing work, temporary traffic lights and contraflows will be used to keep vehicles moving on North Street and Skipton Road.
- Traffic will be reduced to single lane working in a contraflow system on the westbound carriageway and Highways Agency officials are warning drivers to expect delays.
- The Highways Agency only recently ruled out any extra lanes on the eastbound contraflow when work resumes on the project in the New Year and the westbound carriageway is closed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.