- The final movement has some pounding drums with trumpets and some more contrapuntal blending of melodic lines.
- The motets, however, represent the zenith of Brahms's contrapuntal art.
- Generally, they are more lyrical and less contrapuntal than their German counterparts.
- One finds this mirrored in the antiphonies between orchestral groups in a huge, highly contrapuntal gigue.
- This symphony is, if anything, contrapuntal, and the first movement a stunning exemplar.
- One would expect this in something like the early Passacaglia, a contrapuntal Baroque form in which a set of variations occurs over a repeating bass.