In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1contravención feminineinfracción feminineto be/act in contravention of the law — estar/obrar en contravención de la ley
- Why would this not be a contravention of that law on the assumption I have made?
- What are the facts that your client would need to prove against the advertising agency to be knowingly involved in a contravention?
- If that is right, the contravention lies not in the nature of the implication but in the purpose of the regulation.
- The contravention is complete when the conduct occurs for the proscribed purpose whether or not it achieves its objective.
- As there are no contraventions of the legislation covering fire precautions, the certificate cannot be cancelled.
- Identifying the alleged contravention of the Act is no idle pleading point.
- A recent survey of the site which you occupy, showed a number of contraventions to the site licence and structurally the property appeared to be in a poor condition.
- They are said to arise from both contraventions.
- You are concerned to identify the contravention and what follows from the contravention.
- I am trying to think of an example of a contravention of this restraining order that would not turn upon presence in the premises.
- But in both cases, your Honour, one is looking at the misconduct of the contravention.
- At the time of the offence, or the contravention, you will never know whether there has been actual recoupment.
- But the condition is that there is a reasonable belief that there has been a contravention of the law.
- These powers must be exercised on consideration of the likelihood of damage or distress caused by the contravention of the Act.
- The legislature could reasonably have intended severity to be a significant deterrent, bearing in mind the risks to public safety arising from some contraventions of the ordinance.
- He said that councillors were being asked to vote without full information when a material contravention came before them.
- They did not report contraventions of the regulations when they occurred.
- Well, if you say that there has been a contravention of the hearsay rule, you have to demonstrate the purpose for which the courts used the evidence.
- Not every instance of outsourcing will involve a contravention of this law.
- The inspection did not identify any contraventions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.