In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Over recent days the controversial issue of the politics of aid has begun to emerge.
- Now they have reversed the controversial decision after pressure from swimmers.
- Ian Waugh looks at the rise of one of the country's most controversial political figures.
- Pay hikes awarded to council bosses mirror the highly controversial rises in council tax.
- Proving their controversial claim will be difficult for the two sisters, however.
- This year he also implemented a controversial policy of free school meals for all city children.
- The debate over the use of cannabis in medicine is controversial and emotive.
- He was one of the most controversial figures in colonial religious and political history.
- The event comes to the York area at a time when the issue of waste in the city was never more controversial.
- It will be interesting to see whether this starts a spate of controversial videos in the next few months.
- Anthony is a controversial figure and has a habit of saying things just to drum up a bit of publicity.
- He hardly ever seems to make his mind up about anything and he hates saying anything controversial.
- Under the controversial plan all regiments would have at least two battalions.
- It will now have to look at it again, but the controversial issue will first be debated at full Council.
- She will be asked to find a solution over the controversial issue of a ban on hunting with dogs.
- The project has become highly controversial due to the history and sensitivity of the site.
- Tackling these big and controversial issues early in the third term would make sense.
- The bid to put up the mast comes a week before a public meeting is to be held to discuss the controversial plan.
- A public inquiry will rule on a controversial plan to site a wind farm on moors north of Bury.
- If an issue is controversial, relevant opinions as well as facts may need to be considered.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.