In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Over recent days the controversial issue of the politics of aid has begun to emerge.
- He was one of the most controversial figures in colonial religious and political history.
- It will be interesting to see whether this starts a spate of controversial videos in the next few months.
- This year he also implemented a controversial policy of free school meals for all city children.
- If an issue is controversial, relevant opinions as well as facts may need to be considered.
- A public inquiry will rule on a controversial plan to site a wind farm on moors north of Bury.
- She will be asked to find a solution over the controversial issue of a ban on hunting with dogs.
- The project has become highly controversial due to the history and sensitivity of the site.
- Anthony is a controversial figure and has a habit of saying things just to drum up a bit of publicity.
- He hardly ever seems to make his mind up about anything and he hates saying anything controversial.
- Ian Waugh looks at the rise of one of the country's most controversial political figures.
- The bid to put up the mast comes a week before a public meeting is to be held to discuss the controversial plan.
- Under the controversial plan all regiments would have at least two battalions.
- Tackling these big and controversial issues early in the third term would make sense.
- The debate over the use of cannabis in medicine is controversial and emotive.
- Proving their controversial claim will be difficult for the two sisters, however.
- Pay hikes awarded to council bosses mirror the highly controversial rises in council tax.
- The event comes to the York area at a time when the issue of waste in the city was never more controversial.
- Now they have reversed the controversial decision after pressure from swimmers.
- It will now have to look at it again, but the controversial issue will first be debated at full Council.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.