In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The hospital is no longer a place for convalescence.
- Adults with disability or conditions such as alcoholism may also require extended convalescence and careful discharge planning.
- Recovery is mostly uneventful but convalescence is prolonged with generalized weakness, fatigue and depression.
- It is important to remember that it is a very serious condition and that recovery and convalescence can take time - months and years, rather than weeks.
- Apart from a deep cut in his left arm, he recovered quickly and was discharged from the field hospital after a week of convalescence.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.