In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(spoken communication)conversación femininethe art of conversation — el arte de la conversación
- I got into conversation with a stranger — entablé conversación con un desconocido
- they were deep in conversation — estaban en plena conversación
- to engage sb in conversation — entablar / trabar conversación con algn
- we made polite conversation until the cab arrived — estuvimos conversando amablemente hasta que llegó el taxi
- she has no conversation — no sabe conversar
- before noun conversation class — clase de conversación
- I am simply not used to being required to carry out conversation at all hours of the day.
- In many ways, this being on the same wavelength makes for easy and fluent conversation.
- After a minute of conversation she tires of haggling over a price and refuses his advances.
- Far from providing a little less conversation, the theft has become a talking piece in the pub.
- For some minutes there had been efforts to end the conversation coming from the wings.
- I was talking to a Canadian guy last week and one of the topics of conversation was language.
- These features can be regarded as tools that can be applied to sequences of conversation.
- Face to face conversation, talking in the street, does seem to me to be declining.
- After a long leisurely lunch and engaging conversation we made our excuses and departed.
- Marriage came up in conversation as I asked him if he would consider getting married.
- The smoking ban has even fashioned the return of courtship through conversation.
- The grown-ups go quiet, look at me briefly, and then return to their grown up conversation.
- The music plays at a perfect level, audible but not too loud as to drown out conversation.
- We tried to talk to him a few times, but he was not interested in conversation.
- The tables are placed very close together so intimate conversation is difficult.
- The dining room was carpeted, and there was a quiet buzz of conversation from the other guests.
- Aim to terminate the conversation before anything of any substance is discussed.
- It's been a good weekend, both of us catching up on sleep and rest and conversation.
- Whether or not it's going to snow tomorrow is the only topic of conversation today.
- In conversation we discuss the power of music to get us through those dark nights of the soul.
2(talk)conversación feminineto have a conversation (about sth) — hablar de / conversar sobre algo
- we were having a conversation about you — estábamos hablando de ti
- we've had this conversation before — ya hemos hablado de esto antes
- his remark was a real conversation stopper — su comentario los (or nos etc.) dejó a todos callados
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.