In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
(biscuit)galleta femininegalletita feminine River Plate
- I know I shouldn't eat cakes and cookies, but are potatoes and corn OK?
- I have experienced occasional heartburn after I have eaten sugary snacks like cake, pie and cookies.
- She was an excellent cook, and she actually loved doing it, which was why there were always cakes and cookies to look forward to after school.
- Cloves and allspice are a festive combination, famous for flavoring holiday pies, cakes and cookies.
- For her, the most special family tradition is Christmas baking, which involves preparing delicious cakes and cookies for the whole family.
- When patients couldn't pay, they sometimes brought him a homemade cake or cookies or fresh fruit.
- Whole leaves ground to a fine spice-like powder can be used as seasoning or in backing recipes for breads, cookies, cakes, and muffins.
- But we don't have to give up the delicious combination of creamy icing and crisp chocolate cookie.
- Then wrap up those cookies and cakes for neighbors, coworkers and friends - they make a great low-cost, thoughtful gift.
- The new recipe produced some very flat cookies.
- Keep in mind, too, that we don't generally eat an entire meal of walnuts but use them as a garnish or as flavor bursts in cookies and cakes.
- For example, it may simply add bulk to stews and stuffings, or nice moist textures to cakes, cookies and loaves.
- Why aren't we making the good stuff, like cookies or cake?
- The preparations will include varieties of rice items, sweets, fried items, cookies, cakes and juices.
- People set aside time to make cookies, cakes, and decorations.
- Instead of just cookies and cakes, there will be some sandwiches.
- Enjoy the famous bake sale with homemade cakes, pies and cookies.
- The other squash we know and like is pumpkin, a winter squash used almost exclusively for pie in our country and to a lesser extent for baked goods such as breads, cakes and cookies.
- Only, the characters here were real and not necessarily out on a picnic with sweet lemonade, ham sandwiches, home-made cookies and cakes.
- This may involve candy, some cake and/or cookies, alcohol if your workplace allows it, etc.
2informal(person)she's a smart cookie — es más lista que el hambre informal
- he's a tough cookie — es un tipo durísimo
- It is a waiting game and a praying game but he is a tough cookie.
- The older women were tough cookies let me tell you.
- But he is a very tough cookie indeed, having been brought up in the military atmosphere of West Point.
- You don't know what it's like until you're there, and I'm a pretty tough cookie myself.
- If they say I'm a tough cookie, it's because they're sloppy.
- Of course, I had always known she was a tough cookie.
- Besides, I'm a tough little cookie - you said so yourself.
- You're one tough cookie when it comes to forgiveness.
- But Andy is a tough cookie, and he is sticking it out.
- She's a smart cookie, a ‘tough cookie,’ as one character mockingly calls her.
- Because - listen to this and believe it - you're a smart cookie.
- Dylan's a tough cookie, and you can read all about it on his very engaging and frequently updated website.
- Butler, a tough cookie if ever there was one, refused to crumble after he was diagnosed with lung cancer on July 4.
- Jenn's one tough cookie but she has a heart of gold.
- They were tough cookies, some of them, really tough cookies but they were also terribly warm-hearted.
- After all, I am used to seeing her as a pretty tough cookie.
- Once you've driven your flag into the North Pole, proven to yourself that you're actually a pretty tough cookie, what's the point in doing it again?
- Vanessa Craft meets one tough cookie who's definitely in control.
- Mr Gove is a smart cookie, and he is trying to suggest one.
- Coles is a tough cookie, and that impresses his teammates the most.
3US dated(term of endearment)tesorito informal
4Computingcookie femininegalleta feminine
- Companies using cookies and other internet tracking devices will have to provide information to users, giving them the chance to opt out.
- He had failed to grasp the fact that the browser itself stores the cookies on the user's hard drive.
- The use of advertising cookies sent by third-party servers is standard in the Internet industry.
- The main purpose of a cookie is to identify users and possibly prepare customized Web pages for them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.