1copto masculinecopta feminine
- The Christian Copts, who are said to be pure representatives of the ancient Egyptians, claim them as their own.
- Aswan was once an important centre for Christian Copts.
- The Copts, an indigenous Monophysite Christian church, are the largest and most important minority, some 12% of the population.
- On the eve of both Christmas day and Easter day, Orthodox Copts break their fast with a variety of dishes made of beef and poultry.
- For all these reasons, more than 500,000 Copts are estimated to have left Egypt for the West in the past decade.
- It is easier now than in the past to obtain permission to build churches, Coptic Christmas has become a national holiday and Copts hold a number of cabinet-level portfolios.
- Recently, Copts have introduced English into their church services (usually in sermons) to maintain the participation of new generations of American-born Egyptians.
- It is not strong among some Christian groups like Egypt's Copts, and among certain educated elite.