In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1corno inglés masculine
- Fowler is best known as a guitarist, yet has mastered oboe, cor anglais and mandocello.
- After the cor anglais, the oboe and the clarinet, the wind ensemble sings ‘Alleluia’ under a luminous haze of trills and harmonies in the strings.
- Stella played all three parts overdubbing oboe, cor anglais and bass oboe.
- We also have access to other instruments, including cor anglais, bass clarinet, cello, organ and voice.
- These charming songs exist in two different versions, the first for baritone and string quartet, and the second for tenor and woodwind quartet (oboe, cor anglais, clarinet and bassoon).
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.