In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1fenomenal informalpistonudo Spain informalchipocludo Mexico informal
- Eyebrow-raising in print, they sound gripping here because of Andrews' glorious dagger-through-honey vocals, which combine with occasional strings and his band's raw passion to produce a corking debut.
- He caught me with a corking right upper cut - I didn't know whether I was in Manchester or Las Vegas for a split second.
- Up until this morning, this was - as I am sure you will agree - a corking idea.
- Two corking matches tomorrow and Tuesday, for starters.
- Somehow these two elements were combined in a corking afternoon's football at Dens Park yesterday that demonstrated Scottish football still has a pulse.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.