In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And they are so easy to manipulate in the garden: Plant a corm and harvest flowers 85 to 100 days later.
- We're hoping that the next garden will have a spot where we can safely plant a few corms to naturalise and spread out.
- The most forgotten purchase of plants is bulbs, tubers and corms.
- The corms of these selected plants were sectioned and the diameter of the corm and central cylinder determined.
- Bulbs, tubers, roots and corms should be firm and have no obvious mechanical damage or mold.
- The banana is a herbaceous perennial that grows from an underground corm.
- The primary bulb species used for gardens and landscapes include: true bulbs, corms, tubers, tuberous roots, rhizomes, and enlarged hypocotyls.
- Plant corms 3 to 4 inches deep and 6 inches apart in rich, well-drained soil in an area that gets full sun and no summer water.
- They are rhizome-like in stalk appearance but actually develop from an underground corm, taking 10 to 15 months before flowering.
- Despite their differing underground structures, corms, tuberous roots, and rhizomes are all referred to as bulbs.
- To our knowledge, humans are the only organism that routinely digs up, divides and replants tubers, bulbs and corms of flowers.
- Plant gladioli, and corms of ranunculus and anemone.
- Bulbs are geophytes including flower-producing bulbs, corms, tubers and rhizomes with underground storage systems.
- Clonal progeny may be produced by stolons, runners, rhizomes, tubers, buds on bulbs, corms and roots, layering of stems, and agamospermous seed.
- Along with true bulbs, several types of flowers, sold as bulbs, grow from the underground stem growth of rhizomes, tubers, and corms.
- The sturdy spade-shaped tool is great for loosening the soil in landscape fabric or plastic planting holes, or in beds when planting bulbs, corms or plugs.
- Examine bulbs, corms, and tubers for shriveling and rot.
- The former probably show more vegetative reproduction, by rhizomes, corms and bulbs.
- Tender bulbs, corms and tubers will need protection in cold areas.
- Some of these plants grow from corms and rhizomes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.