In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in US)bolsa de granos feminine
2(in UK)lonja femininemercado de granos masculinealhóndiga feminine
- Anyway there is yet another public meeting in the corn exchange tomorrow night, along with the Downlands sub planning committee and WBC - let's hope a decision is made one way or another and that be the end to it.
- Tucked away in the corner of the market place in Beverley, the cinema, a converted corn exchange, kept its magical, untouched feel.
- The Playhouse, originally built as a corn exchange, started showing films three years before the First World War broke out, and became one of the area's best known venues for live entertainment.
- The Corn Exchange opened for trade in 1861 but was soon being used as a community venue.
- Fisherton Mill was a corn mill since the time of the Domesday Book, working until 1965, and the corn exchange was where the city's library is today.
- Alnmouth was the port of Alnwick, seat of the Dukes of Northumberland and the location of the principal corn exchange of central Northumberland.
- We attended the Rotary Pledge auction last night held at the corn exchange, which was a well attended do and raised £4000 for the Local Primary school.
- Ipswich has a wide range of amenities for entertainment, including East Anglias largest theatre, Ipswich Regent, and the Corn Exchange with its impressive Grand Hall.
- We visited the corn exchange to see the opening of the morning's trade in agricultural commodities as diverse as soya bean, cotton, pork bellies, wheat and oilseeds.
- In 1818, for example, the proportions of corn sold at the Alnwick corn exchange (by volume) were: wheat, 12 per cent; barley, 5 per cent; oats, 83 per cent.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.