In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Each has a feature fireplace surround and there are ceiling cornices in the living room and hallway.
- There are double-glazed, maintenance-free windows in each house and decorative ceiling cornices in the living room and hall.
- The original sash windows are in perfect working condition, the original wooden window panelling and doors remain and the main rooms have cornices and ceiling roses.
- With an original oak floor, this area also features a carved oak ceiling rose, pediments, cornices and architraves.
- The interconnecting reception rooms to the left both have original cornices and ceiling roses as well as matching marble fireplaces with fitted gas fires, brass hoods and tiled insets.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.