In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In contrast, pollinator observations demonstrated that hawk moths visited flowers with larger corollas, and that the probability of producing a fruit for natural pollination plants increased with corolla diameter.
- From each plant one randomly chosen, fresh flower was dissected under a binocular microscope to separate the corolla, androecium and gynoecium.
- In addition, experimental flowers that matured a fruit (and therefore received a visit) had significantly larger corollas compared with corollas of flowers that did not initiate a fruit.
- As is now regarded as typical of bat-pollinated flowers, the corolla is sturdy and the nectary disk is large.
- The internal length of the flower corolla was measured from base to opening.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.