In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Squad leaders became buck sergeants in compensation, with a corporal as second in command.
- All corporals and above should be considered leaders and should be prepared as adaptive, self-aware leaders.
- The others were two married corporals, a single corporal and two unmarried lance-corporals.
- However, white-collar has moved from sergeant to corporal in terms of who should be prepared as leaders.
- He saw privates, corporals, sergeants, and all the other ranks waiting for treatment from anything such as a broken limb, to a gunshot wound to a vital area of the body.
- Buck sergeants, rather than corporals, served as their subordinates.
- He had joined up while still in his teens, seen active service and risen to the rank of corporal in the Royal Army Corps.
- They marched in twos, first sergeant, then corporal, then the recruits in pairs.
- The Defence People Committee has endorsed an initiative to offer completion bonuses to selected corporals and sergeants in three critical trades.
- Maybe he can sell it to generals, but not many privates, corporals and second lieutenants.
- He then would assign to his men the ranks of sergeant, corporal, private and so on.
- The quality of America's Army's leaders, from corporal to general, determines the outcome of ground combat.
- His colleagues, a major, warrant officer and another corporal, were killed.
- This is the result of bad leadership, from the top generals right down to those corporals and sergeants and captains who didn't do their duty.
- Early in my 10th Infantry days, a corporal assembled about 30 of us new soldiers from different units for basic close-order drill.
- Not many youths are interested in assuming the duties of privates or corporals without compensation.
- The number of officers in a battalion was thus reduced dramatically during the war, sergeants and corporals often taking over tasks normally performed by officers.
- Usually, they move in teams of three to five men, with the senior man being a corporal or sergeant.
- The Americans - three corporals and one private first class - were from the 4th Ranger Company and had volunteered for a classified mission.
- He was due to marry his fiancée Debbie this year and was promoted from the rank of lance corporal to corporal only days before his death.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.