In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the cost of living — el coste de (la) vida Spain
- before noun cost of living allowance — subsidio por aumento del costo de la vida
- cost of living index — índice del coste de la vida
- When you consider the price of things now and the rising cost of living, anything less is just unrealistic.
- Adding to all those burdens is the high cost of living and the ever-escalating property market.
- Urban food prices are rising faster than the cost of living and wages.
- In addition, the mayor's budget assumes that city workers' wages will not keep up with the rising costs of living.
- Prices were high, but commensurate with the inflated cost of living on the Pacific coast.
- They demanded reasons from the Cabinet for the increases in prices and the cost of living in general.
- All we are asking for is a decent wage to cover the cost of living as council tax keeps rising.
- To help achieve these ends, farmers should receive support related to the cost of living or average earnings.
- They would not be able to survive on those types of wages, given the cost of living.
- We get increases in line with inflation but inflation and the cost of living never seem to be the same.
- He said the upcoming Budget should not see too much added to the cost of living as the public purse looks healthy.
- He cites the rising cost of living in the capital as one of the major factors behind the executive exodus.
- In theory, high food prices should have pushed up the cost of living by a substantial amount.
- It finally took foreign visitors to make waves about the spiralling cost of living here.
- The main reason for this is inflation, basically the broad measure of the rising price of the cost of living.
- Property prices and the cost of living are low but the journey time is a a disadvantage, direct flights taking about four hours.
- The poverty line does not even account for regional variations in the cost of living!
- I earn above minimum wage, but it makes no difference, as the cost of living in this country is simply beyond my means.
- The cost of living would rise and people's standard of living would be eroded.
- What will this do to the cost of goods and thereby again to the cost of living?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.