In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine trajemasculine disfraz(piece/drama) de épocaregional/period costume — traje regional/de época
- in costume — disfrazado
- costume ball — baile de disfraces
- costume party — fiesta de disfraces
- The most sensational news was that the conductor will wear a series of costumes, harmonizing in style with those of the characters in the opera.
- As we enter the Great Nicholas Hall, the opulent room is filled with thousands of aristocrats dancing the mazurka in gorgeous period costumes.
- The event is being produced on a lavish scale with a mammoth three-tier stage, professionally erected sets, light and sound effects and detailed period costumes.
- It is all about style - the costumes, interiors, and decor make quite a statement.
- They also had help from good designers, whose costumes brought the period and the characters to life.
- Filming for each episode took place in a different time period meaning costumes, props, building and even hairstyles were constantly being changed.
- Dancers assemble a wardrobe of costumes to suit different performance needs.
- Apparent attention to historical detail in costumes and props can never overcome an inadequate script, lax direction, and indifferent acting.
- At my daughter's middle school, only costumes depicting historical figures or characters from literature were acceptable.
- There is very little spectacle, beyond the sumptuous costumes, but the actors approach the verse with such attack and panache that a palpable energy is generated.
- Items she was selling included antique furniture, books, jewellery, boxed puppets, period costumes, exotic plants and electrical goods.
- It was more akin to ritual performance than film narrative, with the actors, costumes, lines, sets, and special effects chosen and designed to create a sense of a divine world rather than a human one.
- Queen Victoria's black mourning gown fetched £3,000 yesterday at an auction of the largest private collection of period costumes in Britain.
- The fashions will range from period costumes to the latest silk saris while music will range from bhangra to jazz.
- They are constantly depicted as staging scenes, donning costumes, and playing roles as the means of carrying out their schemes.
- In Mexico City, we saw people dressed in pre-Hispanic style costumes with elaborate headdresses dancing around offerings to the gods.
- Who of us does not have many identities, roles, costumes, professions, positions and masks?
- To give a feel for what it was like at the time, there will also be a display in the library of historical data and costumes of the period.
- His family remembers him ‘drawing all the time’, copying historical costumes from books, as well as sketching original designs.
- The disguises actually allow the power of the performer inside the ape costumes to break through, unlike the rigid masks from the original movies.
- Set in the 15th century court of the Duke of Mantua, the opera offers the cast and crew an opportunity to go the full hog with the lavish costumes of the period.
- The cast of eight changed roles and costumes constantly and the stage sets added to the visual spectacle.
- The third type of attire is the national costume.
- Many joined shopkeepers in wearing period costumes, including authentic make up and seamed stockings.
- Elegant hostesses and male servers are clad in their national costumes as they welcome you.
- His lovely period costumes, mainly in shades of beige, gave the production the look of an old sepia photograph.
- While high-rise buildings reflect the updated Modernism common to contemporary architects, house designs are stuck in historical costumes.
- Throw some actors into some costumes, put them on sets, pick some scenes for them to act out and watch them go.
- It showcases photography and costumes from the period.
- Several actors in costume assume the roles of different characters.
- One of the great values of an art such as this is the light it sheds upon the average taste of the period, such as costumes and architectural details.
- Together with the colourful fifties style costumes - all beehive hairdos and swirly skirts - it perfectly evokes the mood of that era.
- Incredibly vibrant makeup, period costumes, lighting and set design offer the type of viewing pleasures we are not accustomed to in an era when the musical is all but dead in the cinema.
- Mind you, recent history is just a new version of the old: new stage, new actors, new costumes, new masks, same old story.
- Acting troupes stage Old West gunfights every hour or two, and the stores sell period costumes and posters of Doc Holliday.
- The Jidai Festival features a parade of men, women and children wearing costumes in styles that date back more than a thousand years.
- Children dressed in national costumes or their best clothes, waved flags and followed the marching bands through the streets of Oslo.
- He pillaged national costumes - ao-dais from Vietnam, for example - and re-interpreted them.
- There was a large group of people, all dressed in what looked like sixteenth-century, aristocratic period costumes and wigs.
- The vivid memory of pundits chanting and amateur actors dressed in bright costumes performing on the open-air stage has stayed with me.
(set of clothes)vestuario masculine
3dated(lady's suit)traje sastre masculinetraje de chaqueta masculine
- I can't possibly describe the elaborate nature of every woman's costume or outfit.
- The staff have made about 150 costumes for the occasion.
- The costumes range from ethnic outfits to more abstract modernist affairs that bring to mind Picasso's involvement with the Ballet Russe.
- You can show them a picture of a costume or outfit in a magazine and within the day they'll recreate it for you.
- It also employs iconographic patterns of costume, architecture and landscapes to create a rendition of its political dialectic.
4swimming costumetraje de baño masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.