In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1algodón masculinealgodón hidrófilo masculinealgodón en rama masculine
- Wash the wound thoroughly then apply three times daily with a clean cotton wool ball.
- To get make-up to last for several hours, apply foundation and use a puff or clean cotton wool pad to press powder in.
- Experimental subcolonies used in the small supercolony pairings were housed using nesting chambers consisting of test tubes half filled with water and plugged with cotton wool.
- Specimens were immobilized in a quartz cell with some cotton wool.
- The mated female laid an egg sac about 35 days later, and this was removed and placed in a separate sterile plastic container that was closed with cotton wool.
- Play with different textures - have a box of different fabrics, such as towelling, velvet, cotton wool, a clean feather and so on.
- At the bottom of each well, was a petri dish containing cotton wool that would receive the experimental odors; each petri dish had a hole pierced in its lid to allow odors to permeate into the air above.
- I found some cotton wool in my bag and put some cold water on it then touched my face gently.
- When the wings were dry the moths were glued ventrally to tiny oval-shaped balls made of cotton wool.
- She pressed a ball of cotton wool against the puncture site.
- I walked over and took the bottle and cotton wool out of her hand.
- The sudden transition made me feel lethargic, as if I was walking through cotton wool or wading through water up to my neck.
- Betty gave him cardboard boxes and cotton wool but always told him that when the bird was well, he would have to let it go.
- The nurse rubbed her arm with a piece of cotton wool.
- Five infested plants (20 caterpillars in 10 cages on 10 leaves in total) with moist cotton wool were used as odor source.
- Remove the eye shadow by gently wiping it off with a pad of clean cotton wool moistened with eye-cleansing lotion.
- One contains a piece of gold padded with cotton wool.
- Wash your eye with tepid water, using a clean piece of cotton wool or gauze for each wipe.
- I have placed cotton wool on either side of it to hold it snugly in place.
- Spiders were briefly anesthetized by using a piece of cotton wool impregnated with three drops of ether, and placed on an adjustable mounting stand.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.