In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1apartamento/casa de alquiler subvencionados por el ayuntamientopiso de protección oficial masculine(en España) casa de protección oficial feminine
- They want to rent a council house so that they have their own place.
- And we've got a council house whereas other drivers have mortgages or private rents.
- It's nothing like you'd expect a council house to be, though.
- It used to be the case that people either got a council house, rented from a private landlord or got a mortgage to buy their home.
- In fact, he was brought up in a council house in London.
- The rent paid by council house tenants goes into the housing revenue account.
- The jury heard that the couple had applied to buy their council house in Bowes Avenue and had a joint bank account that received regular payments.
- They saw a man come out of the garden of an unoccupied council house and walk towards his red hatchback car, which had the engine running.
- He says the experience has split up his family because there is no room in his new council house to accommodate his son's wish to move back to home.
- Rather than lose the council house, tenants would be offered money to go and buy a house.
- At the time he lived in a former council house in Woodlands Rise, Haworth.
- After his father's death, he and his mother moved to a council house in Mosspark.
- Tenants who get behind with their council house rent will be shunted to the back of the queue for housing improvements under a new scheme.
- She is battling to stay in the council house which has been her home for 20 years.
- I have a council house and a part-time job and not much money.
- I took a mortgage out not long ago to buy my council house.
- Her council house was stripped, the walls scanned and the patio dug up.
- They have written to the Clifton council house tenant and told her that taking her vehicle across the verge into her garden was against the law.
- Their mother lives in a council house marooned among gentrifying neighbours.
- The couple moved into a terrace council house in the town and Hobson adopted her two children and they later had a daughter together.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.