In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It is no secret that some district councillors had little or no time for the new town council.
- It said the councillor was not seeking to mislead other members or act in a devious manner.
- Since he first went on the council he had worked with many councilors of different political persuasions and he had to say he got on with all of them.
- The council officers and the planning councillors are to be congratulated on it.
- Many councillors work long hours and may spend twenty hours or more a week on council duties.
- Municipal councilors, government employees and the general public then paraded around town to welcome in the Thai New Year.
- In order to affect city government one had to persuade powerful city councilors who headed up committees.
- The allegation later turned out to be manufactured by members of the city councilor's staff.
- So we put in for a national deal and now the same councillors are saying it has to be done locally.
- Each one is made up of a committee of councillors from the wards in that area.
- Cooperation is requested from all councilors for the final council resolution.
- Tenants will sit side by side with councillors and independent members on the boards.
- If the member wants to do that, he can go and see the councillors and have a chat to them.
- Over half the elected councillors are new to the county council and can lead a fresh start.
- Parents have got to get together and turn our fire on the councillors and the employers.
- We are asking for support from the public and local councilors to oppose the cuts.
- If this were to be carried out for all councillors, then our council chambers would be empty.
- Could it be that they have a councillor or senior council officer in their midst?
- A councillor has donated a hand bell to a new town council in memory of his wife.
- Therefore councillors get paid what government decrees and have no say in the matter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.