In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Although this was not intended as an endorsement by the popular Republican councilman, the media and voters perceived it as such.
- He is a former Cleveland councilman and school board member.
- Surely city councilmen ought to have better (and more constitutionally permissible) things to do.
- One of our local councilmen has taken to giving interviews to anyone who will listen to express his displeasure over the new system.
- Two other councilmen recounted personal stories about the mayor's openness.
- As long as the mayor can maintain the loyalty of ten or more councilmen, his agenda can safely sail through the lawmaking process.
- She finally pulled him away, and quietly told him that the councilmen wished to speak with him.
- One of the councilmen was locked in his office and could not open the door.
- He says that particular image was not what was important to voters in 2002 when he ran for city council at age 25 and soundly beat a former councilman.
- While he hired lobbyists to help him state his case, he personally developed relationships with city councilmen and pressed for their vote commitment.
- A few years later, while still serving as a councilman, he was elected to the local water board.
- But suddenly, the same numbers that police officers, city councilmen, mayors, and reporters had been staring at sadly for decades became the key to solving the city's crime problems.
- He was a political rival of the dead councilman.
- I knew my grandfather quite well; he was a city councilman.
- He was among the first councilmen to push for tax hikes.
- Leading the insurgency is the town's mayor and an ambitious councilman.
- City councilmen said they're frustrated over delays in the negotiations.
- The other councilmen whispered amongst themselves in terror.
- Lang had been in office, as either a councilman or mayor, for 22 years.
- I had to show them what an upstanding group of councilmen should do.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.