In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cuenta atrás femininecuenta regresiva feminineconteo regresivo masculine Andesto start/begin the countdown — empezar/comenzar la cuenta atrás / regresiva
- in the countdown to the Olympic Games — en los días que precedieron (or preceden etc.) al inicio de los Juegos Olímpicos
- Once the countdown reached zero the cart began to move, accelerating rather rapidly.
- In Florida today, NASA beginning its countdown for the first space shuttle launch since the Columbia disaster more than two years ago.
- Initial data analysis performed last night showed that the countdown, engine ignition and initial phase of flight were normal.
- The computer beeped a countdown from five to zero, and wooden spheres appeared and swooped down to try to hit the user.
- The countdown has begun for Atlantis to lift off Thursday.
- The countdown was stopped when a problem was detected in the computer dialogue between the control center and the launcher.
- The US space agency NASA began its countdown Saturday for tomorrow's rescheduled launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery.
- From behind me Ben shouted out a countdown, and then began his eight beat introduction.
- To follow the launch countdown and the post-launch events watch the live webcam from the mission control room and follow our simplified launch status table in the attached link.
- The countdown will resume at the beginning of next week.
- So far he's been seen baiting the crowd with false information, and leading them in a countdown from 10 to zero for no apparent reason.
- All the while, we watch as a nuclear bomb starts a countdown to zero.
- A series of meetings will take place Thursday to discuss the problem and determine the steps necessary to get back into the launch countdown.
- Any pre-launch irregularities noted during a countdown can cause a launch to be aborted.
- The eleven o'clock ‘off’ from the City Hall came quickly and with the countdown from ten to zero, the Santas were on their way.
- More and more of a crowd began to enter the room, stuffing the whole area and turning it into a claustrophobic matchbox as the final countdown began.
- Everyone leaned forward in anticipation as the final countdown began.
- When all of these steps have been completed, a complete dress rehearsal of the final days of the countdown and liftoff is conducted.
- As the countdown reached zero he fully squeezed the trigger.
- The mental countdown continued in his head: four, three, two, one.
- When I surfaced, I heard the countdown beginning from ten.
- Dr. Kraft worked to develop the countdown, launch, and flight procedures, as well as the design of Mission Control itself at the Cape and later in Houston.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.