In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The big event that shifted the way the media works was the Thatcher counter-revolution.
- First, a counter-revolution, loyal to Church and King, was led by the nobles and the clergy and supported by staunch Catholic peasants.
- While the personal and sexual relationships that derived from this situation infuriated German and Austrian men, it took a while for them to launch their sexual counter-revolution.
- The reason why volunteers were needed in that year was that the French Revolution of 1789 had not gained universal support and there were attempted counter-revolutions in parts of France.
- The monarch plans to put himself at the head of the enemies of the revolution to attempt a counter-revolution.
- But as events played out the revolution failed and the counter-revolution soon set in.
- In the name of ‘socialist construction’, Stalin led a counter-revolution from above.
- The English then sensibly carried out a conservative counter-revolution, restoring the monarchy and ushering in three centuries of gradual and prosperous transition to democratic liberty.
- During the 1920s and 30s, fascism rose to power in a Europe convulsed by world war and civil war, revolution and counter-revolution, general strikes and mass street battles between right and left.
- Marx also saw that to be successful the workers' revolution had to be able to defend itself against counter-revolution by capitalist and reactionary forces.
- At Blackpool yesterday, the shadow home secretary, Oliver Letwin, promised a radical counter-revolution against this creeping centralisation.
- The revolutionary opportunity was lost, and counter-revolution gained the upper hand.
- The ‘punk revolution’ was in fact a conservative, throwback counter-revolution - an intentional try to drive the music back, not just to its roots, but to its primitive roots.
- The call for a coup by 14 top army officers on 22 October has thrown into relief the clear choice of two roads in this country, towards revolution or towards counter-revolution.
- Fearing counter-revolution, the sans-culottes destroyed prisons because they believed they were secretly sheltering conspirators.
- We have witnessed revolutions and counter-revolutions, both political and cultural.
- Then, in the closing decades of the twentieth century, a counter-revolution swept the world, pushing for just the opposite: disperse capital as widely as possible by getting everybody involved as owners.
- With the declaration from Stalin that socialism was possible in one country, the counter-revolution began.
- The woman who led the capitalist counter-revolution in Poland is to address an international business convention near Harrogate.
- In the dark days of the 1960s, however, it was a call to arms for a free-enterprise counter-revolution against state corporatism and sleepy managerialism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.