- Then, on the third day of his visit, while the merchant is in his counting house, the wife complains that her husband is selfish, both with money and with love.
- Apparently, Herbert has made little progress in his search for an ‘opening’ to riches through the counting house.
- He comes to the counting house to wish Scrooge a merry Christmas and invite his uncle to dine with himself and his wife on Christmas Day.
- He had been apprenticed to a counting house, but when some funds turned up missing, he was accused and sent to jail.
- After his long day at the counting house or government office, the bourgeois felt entitled to legitimate amusement.