In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
adverb & adjective
1a escala nacional
- The Department also intends to conduct a full re-evaluation of ewe premium applications countrywide.
- The union had planned to escalate the industrial action countrywide this week but deferred this after talks were arranged.
- It is much better to have parcels of forestry countrywide, integrated farm forestry is the way forward.
- This is a countrywide problem and as far as the parents are concerned everyone should be singing from the same hymn sheet, she says.
- On their agenda: a countrywide tour and a series of grassroots lectures.
- Should they place a ban on the export of ostrich products, it could paralyse the industry countrywide.
- Visit your local library and check through the countrywide telephone directories
- The program includes educating 55,000 first grade pupils each year countrywide.
- Indeed, our girly evening was indicative of a countrywide trend.
- A petition against the regulations is circulating at health shops countrywide.
- The academy will comprise centres of excellence in all parts of the UK, to meet a mixture of local and countrywide needs.
- The licences are to be granted for an initial duration of two years, although there is the possibility of renewal and extension countrywide.
- The project would be part of a countrywide pilot scheme involving some 100 teams in different areas of the country.
- The month-long countrywide amnesty officially ended at midnight and officers are in the process of collating the final figures.
- The response to this was overwhelming with over 340 entrants countrywide.
- The courses are held almost every weekend in locations countrywide.
- On February 18 a countrywide ban will come into force, although legal challenges threaten to delay it by a year or more.
- Advisers carried out the updated assessment on the impact of the weather on farming countrywide earlier this week.
- Our Mobile Units travel countrywide staffed by a registered nurse.
- A pilot scheme whereby members of the public can report the behaviour of dangerous drivers is to be extended countrywide.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.