In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Overseas players almost invariably do well in county cricket but the most successful are those whose influence goes beyond the weight of their performance.
- To yesterday's cricketers county cricket was a big thing, securing a contract was itself a colossal triumph.
- England's attitude towards county cricket has improved immeasurably since those unhealthy days, but the principle remains the same.
- ‘I think it would a great opportunity for us if we came and played county cricket,’ he said.
- The bowlers have certainly used their time in county cricket to good effect.
- The other side of the coin is that three of that team are no longer playing county cricket.
- A few good scores would increase my confidence and I might even get a chance to play county cricket in the future.
- As for county cricket, show me a player who doesn't want to play in England?
- He has since recovered and is currently playing county cricket for Middlesex.
- And yet, that experience has not dented his enthusiasm for county cricket.
- They realised his potential value in England, where he played two seasons of county cricket for Kent, and swiftly recalled him into the training squad.
- My time in county cricket has been useful as well.
- ‘I'm excited by the opportunity of playing county cricket again,’ he said.
- As Australia's first choices prepared for the Ashes in various nets around the world, it was a more subdued week of county cricket for the Down Under performers.
- Though he recently broke a bone in his left hand while playing county cricket for Hampshire, he has been passed fit to play.
- What do you think of the standard of county cricket?
- Aside from the building site, watching county cricket in this oasis from urban noise is a tranquil experience.
- The self-doubt carried over into county cricket.
- I have never played county cricket before, so it is quite a big challenge.
- One is that a large paying audience exists for county cricket, just so long as the hours of play are designed for people who have a life.
crícket del nivel más alto que se juega entre los equipos profesionales de los condados
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.