In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1calabacín masculinecalabacita feminine Mexicozapallito masculine Southern Conezapallito largo masculine Southern Conezapallito italiano masculine Southern Cone
- I also grow a successful variety of vegetables including Jerusalem artichokes, courgettes, beans and pumpkins.
- Add the courgettes, tomatoes, garlic, thyme leaves, sea salt and pepper and cook gently for 20 minutes until soft and tender, tossing often.
- Yet on the rare occasion I lower potatoes, sliced courgettes or their golden flowers or even just a banana into deep groundnut oil I wonder why I don't cook this way more often.
- It did look quite appetising - a mountain of rice with fresh vegetables, courgettes, peppers, onions and peas, blended together by a tomato sauce.
- This is a lovely way of doing a variety of fried vegetables, like aubergines, courgettes, pumpkin, spinach and squash.
- Other specialist bags have been developed especially for salads and vegetables including even marrows and courgettes.
- Peel and chop the garlic and stir into the onions with the courgettes.
- Other choices include heavy cropping small tomatoes that don't need pinching out, dwarf beans, leeks, courgettes, spring onions, shallots, garlic and radishes.
- The sauce can also be served on top of baked potatoes, hot pasta or vegetables such as courgettes or green beans.
- Even the chargrilled vegetables - which included courgettes, aubergines and sweet peppers - were excellent.
- Our dishes arrived with a generous supply of potatoes, mange tout, and courgettes in a tomato dressing.
- There will be plenty of room for other, less disease-prone vegetables; courgettes, parsnips, beetroot, spinach and runner beans will all be on the menu for this year I hope.
- Slice the courgette and aubergine lengthwise and cut the peppers in four, discarding the core and seeds.
- Otherwise known as bell peppers, capsicum and pimento, sweet peppers are natural partners to Provençal vegetables such as courgettes, aubergine and tomatoes.
- The vegetable filling is very good, this week being courgettes and sweet potato amongst others.
- You may add anything you wish from the garden to the egg mixture - sautéed peppers, mushrooms, courgettes or wilted chard are particularly delicious.
- I can see the physical pain it causes him when I'm slicing courgettes to the wrong thickness, or frying onions too fast.
- Slice courgettes lengthwise, cut sweet red peppers in half, thickly slice aubergine, brush with olive oil and grill on both sides until well marked.
- It came with seasonal vegetables including cauliflower, carrots, new potatoes and sliced courgettes.
- Instead of aubergine, you could use sections of baby leeks, red or green peppers, courgettes or fresh mushrooms.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.