In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1zapato (de) salón masculine
- Accessories include hats, bags, a parasol, a fox fur and, shoes, including gold court shoes with diamanté buckles dating from 1900.
- She pouted, writhing in her bloating dress as the maids stuffed her feet into the black polished court shoes.
- Like court shoes that have nothing to hold the foot back, they strain the feet by forcing toes to slide forward and ‘claw’ on to the shoe.
- And to cap it all, failure to wear a navy skirt, a ‘nice’ cream blouse and little court shoes has sealed my fate!
- A Miss-Jean-Brodie, in a prim sweater and 50s style skirt (a non-flamboyant one - not tight, not too flared, mid-calf, grey), black tights and court shoes.
- We were made to design a court shoe - those types of shoes that lady lawyers wear - very simple rounded front slip-ons cut from one piece of leather.
- As this is a formal session, you are only allowed to wear court shoes.
- Be bold and brash in your grunge gear with loop earrings and big bangles or add chic to your feet by returning to the simple pointed court shoe or stiletto.
- Wearing a knee-length black skirt, white blouse and court shoes made me look like a lawyer myself.
- During the next decade, it became a fashion staple, perfect with circle skirts, gloves and vertiginous court shoes.
- Had to buy a pair of shoes though, as the proper flat court shoes I wore to match my work suit did not quite go with the dress-down order of the day of shorts and bikini top.
- On her feet are black patent leather court shoes with clean soles.
- I wore a red dress that zipped up the front, tan pantyhose, and white court shoes.
- So if you have an old fur piece kicking about, pop it on over a tweed skirt teamed with ribbed tights and court shoes.
- Just take Chanel's legendary court shoe… it's the only accessory that has maintained its place on the fashion scene in the last hundred years!
- Team the skirt with a classic pair of court shoes or stiletto heels.
- ‘You'd best put on those court shoes I got you, or you'll be a midget,’ Jenny said, slipping on her stiletto boots.
- Black opaque tights, three-inch court shoes and a quilted Chanel bag complete the look.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.