In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The courthouse is a small building with seating accommodation for approximately 25 people.
- The jail, as well as its companion courthouse building, was scheduled to undergo a major renovation.
- We see some people coming out, his parents coming down the courthouse steps.
- Stage a banner action outside your local federal courthouse while jurors are coming in.
- Yesterday they walked to court together and paused briefly to be photographed before entering the historic courthouse.
- But the point is, this court is a brand new courthouse.
- He entered the courthouse with his customary sun glasses and ever-present cell phone.
- Persons entered the courthouse through a door at the north end of the structure.
- We saw him walk into the courthouse with his attorney there, not his wife.
- He also said that if the police do not take the necessary measures for the security of the courthouses, the normal functioning of the judiciary system might be hindered.
- As I said on Monday, there's no possible justification for courthouse violence.
- Also, right down the street from the state courthouse where this all began yesterday.
- I hadn't even left the courthouse building yet and he apologized.
- Today, the media swarmed around the disgraced former CEO as he left the federal courthouse in Manhattan.
- She noticed the white-haired old man messing with something on the courthouse steps.
- Demonstrators from both sides sparred heatedly inside and outside the historic courthouse.
- A protest raged on a courthouse lawn, round a makeshift stage they charged on.
- Further, these firms all need continuous interaction with law firms, which tend to cluster near government buildings such as courthouses.
- The acoustics in the old courthouse were terrible.
- Yet clause 206 recognises that the Government is prepared to give those coercive powers to the private sector to transport prisoners between courthouses and prisons.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.