In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tordo negro masculine
- Estimating the cost of accepting a cowbird egg was done by experimentally placing newly hatched cowbird chicks into catbird nests.
- Blackbirds, cowbirds, and mockingbirds are common companions throughout most of the year.
- We observed live female cowbirds at sparrow nests on 12 occasions; 11 of these were laying bouts.
- Rothstein said that since most songbirds only sing, he suspects the cowbirds learned to sing before they started to dance.
- The probability of parasitism may vary among hosts because differences in their behaviors assist cowbirds in locating nests.
- Incubation time is short, 10 to 12 days, which allows the young cowbird to get a head start in the nest.
- In Missouri, sparrows and cowbirds arrived at nests at 13.5 and 14.7 min before sunrise, respectively.
- While female cowbirds don't sing, male cowbirds belt out a small repertory of songs, each one less than a second long.
- Cuckoos and cowbirds lay eggs in nests of different species to avoid the costs of brood care.
- Since 1972, decoy traps baited with seeds and live cowbirds have been set out across the warbler's breeding grounds.
- Open land provides habitat for cowbirds and nest predators.
- The only characteristic that separated parasitic cowbirds from their nonparasitic relatives was an increase in eggshell thickness.
- Studies have revealed that as many as 90 percent of the vireo nests in Texas and Oklahoma have been invaded by cowbirds.
- Instead of our winter visitors that left us for more northern areas, we now have grackles, red-wings and cowbirds.
- Cowbird visits usually occurred after the host left the nest, suggesting that cowbirds monitored nests closely.
- This fracturing allows birds of the forest edge, such as cowbirds and blue jays, to parasitize and prey upon the thrushes.
- In British Columbia, nearly 25% of Veery nests found had been parasitized by cowbirds.
- Warbling Vireo nests that are parasitized by cowbirds typically produce no vireo young.
- Our findings suggest that cowbirds are relatively long lived and that recruitment into the breeding population is low.
- Chaffinches and cowbirds are not the only birds that teach song to their young.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.