In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Jim had only slept that late once, the week and a half when he had gotten the cowpox.
- He used the mild disease cowpox to confer immunity for the potentially fatal but biochemically similar smallpox.
- A spouse and child came down with a mild case of cowpox.
- In 1796, Jenner began to infect people first with the far more benign cowpox and then with smallpox.
- The process induced cowpox, a mild viral disease that conferred immunity to smallpox.
- He noticed that milkmaids who had recovered from cowpox were resistant to contracting small pox.
- The cowpox virus, which infects a range of animals including humans, has been genetically altered in a similar way.
- He showed that cowpox vaccination prevented smallpox in a child deliberately exposed to the disease.
- Vaccination of smallpox started in the late 18th century with Jenner's cowpox vaccine.
- Injecting yourself with a cowpox vaccine or medicine made of mould must once have seemed very alternative.
- Unlike vaccination, which utilised the cowpox virus, inoculation involved the deliberate infection of a susceptible individual.
- Here's an electron microscope image of a herpes virus and here's the cowpox virus.
- There's also a review of past cases of transmission of cowpox from the vaccinated to the unvaccinated.
- At the end of the 1700s, Jenner realized that people who had contracted cowpox, or ‘vaccinia,’ didn't get smallpox.
- Having been inoculated with cowpox, Phipps was now immune to smallpox.
- Specialists have sought to mimic the response by devising a vaccine containing HIV virus tucked inside a disabled cowpox virus.
- It is a weakened form of cowpox that is used to make the vaccine.
- Other viruses in this group that can cause infection in humans include variola, vaccinia (used in smallpox vaccine), and cowpox viruses.
- You are always pretty certain to get cowpox; likewise your nails fester.
- And it should be noted, no one has given the cowpox to anyone else, either.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.