In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And it should be noted, no one has given the cowpox to anyone else, either.
- Jim had only slept that late once, the week and a half when he had gotten the cowpox.
- Vaccination of smallpox started in the late 18th century with Jenner's cowpox vaccine.
- It is a weakened form of cowpox that is used to make the vaccine.
- A spouse and child came down with a mild case of cowpox.
- Other viruses in this group that can cause infection in humans include variola, vaccinia (used in smallpox vaccine), and cowpox viruses.
- He used the mild disease cowpox to confer immunity for the potentially fatal but biochemically similar smallpox.
- He showed that cowpox vaccination prevented smallpox in a child deliberately exposed to the disease.
- Having been inoculated with cowpox, Phipps was now immune to smallpox.
- The process induced cowpox, a mild viral disease that conferred immunity to smallpox.
- The cowpox virus, which infects a range of animals including humans, has been genetically altered in a similar way.
- At the end of the 1700s, Jenner realized that people who had contracted cowpox, or ‘vaccinia,’ didn't get smallpox.
- Here's an electron microscope image of a herpes virus and here's the cowpox virus.
- You are always pretty certain to get cowpox; likewise your nails fester.
- Injecting yourself with a cowpox vaccine or medicine made of mould must once have seemed very alternative.
- Specialists have sought to mimic the response by devising a vaccine containing HIV virus tucked inside a disabled cowpox virus.
- There's also a review of past cases of transmission of cowpox from the vaccinated to the unvaccinated.
- In 1796, Jenner began to infect people first with the far more benign cowpox and then with smallpox.
- Unlike vaccination, which utilised the cowpox virus, inoculation involved the deliberate infection of a susceptible individual.
- He noticed that milkmaids who had recovered from cowpox were resistant to contracting small pox.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.