In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Mixing cracker-barrel philosophy, and good common sense, the author offers realistic advice.
- With its chocolate box cinematography and cracker-barrel philosophising, the film is the worst kind of period drama.
- Southern country-boy coaches were about the last of the nation's cracker-barrel philosophers.
- Behind the stereotype of the genial, cracker-barrel philosopher is a story of avarice, resentment, and political awakening.
- When he came to read the creators of the English realistic novel, he recognized the cracker-barrel philosophy in them at once.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.