In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person) astuto(person) zorro informal(person) vivo informal(child) pícaro(child) pillo(methods/tactics) hábil(methods/tactics) arterohe's a crafty old fox — es un viejo de lo más zorro informal
- He is kidnapped and his friends try to save him - but are are captured by the Queen's crafty cunning.
- ‘Well, usually I'd just walk in,’ Dallas said as he scratched his chin and a crafty smile appeared on his face.
- The film makes crafty use of suspense from the beginning and there are subtle elements of mystery.
- That gets him in trouble against quick, crafty pass rushers.
- And while I was in there any thoughts of having a crafty fag dispersed at the sight of the smoke alarms.
- "Oh, he's much too crafty for that, " replied Armand.
- These composition and narrative tricks would seemingly sink another film, making it too clever and crafty in a self-serving fashion.
- He pieces together the history behind the crafty tricks and cunning plans of conflict.
- It's just possible that crafty, quick, powerful Jones could defeat any fighter in any weight class in the world.
- He utilizes the crafty technique of a savvy veteran.
- The tiger was too careful and too crafty to reveal himself just like that.
- But elders get to be elders by being cunning and crafty.
- Steve was, and is, a pretty crafty hardware and software guy.
- ‘He was courageous, clever, confident, some people even say he was crafty,’ a friend describes the young schoolboy.
- The carrot-and-stick strategy at first seemed ingenious or at least crafty.
- The government has wised up to the crafty ways of the wily general.
- She would have to do some fairly under handed and crafty lying to convince him to leave without revealing the conspiracy.
- Maria is a smoker and while she was having a crafty fag, we'd eye up all the cute smokers.
- My red lips curl into a crafty little smile at the thought of that suave, devil of a man sitting on the sixty-eighth floor.
- Beware of a crafty and clever individual who can talk you into making a bad financial deal.
- This year, a lot of GMs have pulled off some crafty trades and astute free-agent signings.
- He watched her stare at him and held a crafty smile across his face.
- My neighbors include a family of armadillos, a crafty old opossum and a resourceful raccoon.
- This is particularly true in the office, where crafty technologies help bosses keep abreast of what their employees are doing.
- Beware of a crafty person who undermines your achievement at work.
- But they do like to dig up the garden, and are renowned as crafty escape artists.
- The crafty machinations of the camera yield the spontaneity of the snapshot.
- I knew not that thy men were crafty and deceitful like a fox.
- Miles isn't yet as efficient as Williams would like, but he is quick, crafty and sometimes sensational.
- But Cass is pretty crafty and declares he is starting his own country.
- The Geordies love him, opponents loathe him but he's crafty, cunning and still top class.
- Meanwhile, a surreptitious measure of whisky is pulled from his pocket for a crafty nip.
- His methods are crafty and cunning, he is the master deceiver.
- She was that sort of girl, really quick and crafty.
- She glanced back along the corridor to where Hank still stood watching, and a crafty smile tilted her lips.
- As crafty administrators will tell you, appoint a committee to insulate yourself against public criticism.
- We're just wondering what crafty manoeuvre he'll have up his sleeve this time.
- Perhaps jurors minds were perverted by the words of some pretty crafty lawyers?
- The crafty woman was clever enough not to give me the mobiles.
- She's very crafty… but, of course, I'm the one who agreed to it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.