In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person) astuto(person) zorro informal(person) vivo informal(child) pícaro(child) pillo(methods/tactics) hábil(methods/tactics) arterohe's a crafty old fox — es un viejo de lo más zorro informal
- "Oh, he's much too crafty for that, " replied Armand.
- Miles isn't yet as efficient as Williams would like, but he is quick, crafty and sometimes sensational.
- ‘He was courageous, clever, confident, some people even say he was crafty,’ a friend describes the young schoolboy.
- He utilizes the crafty technique of a savvy veteran.
- My neighbors include a family of armadillos, a crafty old opossum and a resourceful raccoon.
- The crafty machinations of the camera yield the spontaneity of the snapshot.
- Meanwhile, a surreptitious measure of whisky is pulled from his pocket for a crafty nip.
- Beware of a crafty and clever individual who can talk you into making a bad financial deal.
- ‘Well, usually I'd just walk in,’ Dallas said as he scratched his chin and a crafty smile appeared on his face.
- She glanced back along the corridor to where Hank still stood watching, and a crafty smile tilted her lips.
- Perhaps jurors minds were perverted by the words of some pretty crafty lawyers?
- These composition and narrative tricks would seemingly sink another film, making it too clever and crafty in a self-serving fashion.
- She was that sort of girl, really quick and crafty.
- Maria is a smoker and while she was having a crafty fag, we'd eye up all the cute smokers.
- The carrot-and-stick strategy at first seemed ingenious or at least crafty.
- He watched her stare at him and held a crafty smile across his face.
- Beware of a crafty person who undermines your achievement at work.
- The Geordies love him, opponents loathe him but he's crafty, cunning and still top class.
- Steve was, and is, a pretty crafty hardware and software guy.
- And while I was in there any thoughts of having a crafty fag dispersed at the sight of the smoke alarms.
- The film makes crafty use of suspense from the beginning and there are subtle elements of mystery.
- But they do like to dig up the garden, and are renowned as crafty escape artists.
- The tiger was too careful and too crafty to reveal himself just like that.
- She would have to do some fairly under handed and crafty lying to convince him to leave without revealing the conspiracy.
- As crafty administrators will tell you, appoint a committee to insulate yourself against public criticism.
- This year, a lot of GMs have pulled off some crafty trades and astute free-agent signings.
- It's just possible that crafty, quick, powerful Jones could defeat any fighter in any weight class in the world.
- He pieces together the history behind the crafty tricks and cunning plans of conflict.
- I knew not that thy men were crafty and deceitful like a fox.
- But elders get to be elders by being cunning and crafty.
- His methods are crafty and cunning, he is the master deceiver.
- We're just wondering what crafty manoeuvre he'll have up his sleeve this time.
- She's very crafty… but, of course, I'm the one who agreed to it.
- The crafty woman was clever enough not to give me the mobiles.
- But Cass is pretty crafty and declares he is starting his own country.
- That gets him in trouble against quick, crafty pass rushers.
- He is kidnapped and his friends try to save him - but are are captured by the Queen's crafty cunning.
- This is particularly true in the office, where crafty technologies help bosses keep abreast of what their employees are doing.
- The government has wised up to the crafty ways of the wily general.
- My red lips curl into a crafty little smile at the thought of that suave, devil of a man sitting on the sixty-eighth floor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.