In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cárter (del cigüeñal) masculine
- Unlike four-stroke engines, there's a power stroke with every rotation of the crankcase.
- Some of that fuel would inevitably seep down into the crankcase and dilute your oil.
- The last place you need your oil is splattered up the inside of the crankcase!
- Weight concerns mandated that the cylinder heads and crankcase are both made of cast aluminum.
- ‘If we're successful, it could basically sit in the crankcase of a diesel V8 with the same output,’ says van der Broek.
- Well, imagine draining all the oil from your crankcase, and then trying to drive across town - doing 80 mph on the freeway.
- The slower speeds were a result of the races being flown with a cracked crankcase.
- It went off like a grenade inside, the crank, the crankcase, barrels and pistons are all just scrap metal.
- There are oil passages on the outside of the crankcase to reduce the chance of oil leaks.
- The crankcase is also formed by a one-piece core, assuring uniformity.
- The crankcase, on the other hand, sits in a bath of water and polyethylene glycol.
- The crankcase was ribbed for strength while the crankshaft was carried on five main hearings.
- Just as the letter W is two Vs joined together, the W8 is like two V - 4 engines joined at their crankcases.
- Imagine your car didn't come with instructions telling you to fill the crankcase with oil of a particular viscosity.
- With a rotary engine, the crankshaft is fixed, while the cylinders, crankcase and all the other bits rotate around it.
- To minimize hydraulic losses, it is connected to the crankcase by a series of windows and oil strainers.
- Then that mixture of gasoline and oil would seep down into the crankcase, diluting the engine oil even further.
- Other nasties, such as lead and acid, also live in your crankcase.
- The shunt left the car with damaged suspension, bodywork and even broke the crankcase in the backwards impact.
- Controlling the oil in the crankcase significantly reduces ring tension to unlock even more power by minimizing friction.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.