In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1inspectors crash-tested a production model — los inspectores sometieron el modelo en serie a la prueba de choque / de impacto
- How is it possible, in these times when mainstream manufacturers must spend millions rigorously crash-testing cars from every angle to meet European rules, to legally drive a bed down the road?
- He said it is able to integrate hardware and software in its own facilities, crash-test it and deliver it ready to go.
- It can deal with accidents, breakdowns or theft through its back-up antenna, and it has even been crash-tested at Volvo's safety centre so that it remains functional after an accident.
- Each year, NCAP crash-tests all new car models to see how they protect drivers and passengers who are wearing seatbelts.
- Many European cars today in the small and mid-size categories have been crash-tested and said to be completely protective of the driver in such an incident.
- Despite this, Ford officials denied under oath having crash-tested the Pinto.
1prueba de choque feminineprueba de impacto femininebefore noun crash test dummy — muñeco que simula un cuerpo humano en una prueba de choque
- It seemed that practically every car tested in the latest round of Euro NCAP crash tests achieved the top 5 - Star rating, when the results were announced last week.
- In a crash test, the same bollards stopped a 7.5 ton vehicle traveling at 44 miles per hour.
- The car's rock bottom group 2 insurance, exceptional fuel economy and four-star rating in Euro NCAP crash tests also found favour with the judges.
- Mandatory crash tests were introduced in 1998 and include a head-on impact at 35 mph and a side-on impact at 30 mph.
- It was also evident from the crash tests that the barriers could easily pitch over during vehicle impact.
- Let's take a look at the crash test for a second vehicle, that's the Land Rover Freelander.
- These models make it possible for Volvo to determine a car's safety characteristics at an early stage in the development process - long before any physical prototypes are available for crash tests.
- And they are ready to help car makers with crash tests.
- This process cut the number of vehicle prototypes by 65 percent, halved the number of crash tests and analyzed human factors in the plant through use of digital assembly software.
- The car scored five stars in the Euro NCAP crash tests.
- The IHHS frontal crash tests have the front end of the vehicle hit a deformable barrier at 40 mph.
- And most commentators are expecting that the car will also shine next week when the first small car to achieve a full 5-star rating in the Euro NCAP crash tests is being announced.
- ‘He'd have a bruise but he'd be able to walk away,’ said the engineer, but only because a thousand crash tests were carried out on the car before it was built.
- It had taken 13 years, 250 whole-vehicle crash tests, 2,500 sled tests and seven million vehicle kilometres to develop a sensor that set off an airbag in 30 milliseconds.
- Government employees buying the vehicles for crash tests reportedly had to pay more than $10,000 above sticker price because the models were so hot.
- Less expensive seats priced at around £20 tended to do poorly in crash tests, while the safest seats were in the £80 - £90 price range.
- None of the latter vehicles have gone through crash tests for the reason that such tests are not done in India since there are no facilities for conducting such tests.
- The latest round of crash tests by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety saw a first in three years.
- Simulated 55-mph crash tests by the DOE on a hydrogen vehicle left the car badly damaged, but the hydrogen tank intact.
- Each new vehicle Toyota releases scores highly in crash tests, a significant change from just two years ago.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.